PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Collection Explorer ◢ General group ◢ Sequences: Revision collection
Defines the technical revision format for documents and parts.
- This is the complete name for the revision sequence.
- This gives the revision sequence and its use.
- Starting revision§
- This is given to a new item's revision. The Starting revision value never changes; instead, subsequent revisions of the item are incremented based on the previous revision's value and the sequence rules, such as invalid characters.
- You specify both the revision sequence's format and the value. The format is determined by the location and type of character (letter, number or symbol) that you enter. If you enter a numeric digit at a specified location, then all subsequent values use only a numeric digit at that location. Likewise, a letter at a particular location ensures that only letters are used when the identifier is incremented. Non-alphanumeric characters (e.g., "/" or "-") are ignored when the value is incremented.
- Example: If you've specified A.01 as the Starting revision value, then the next item iteration is given as A.02. The revision immediately following A.99 is B.00.
- If no alphanumeric characters are specified, then the item's initial iteration is given the starting revision value. Any subsequent revisions are alphabetic.
- Example: If the Starting revision value is specified as a hyphen -, then the next item iteration would be A.
- Skip characters§
- You can also specify which characters are not considered when a Starting revision value is incremented. Since these characters are only examined when the sequence increments, you can (for instance) use a skip character as the initial value for a revision and it will never be used in a subsequent revision.
- Enter the exact characters to be skipped, without a space, quote or other delimiter: IOSQXZ.
- Example: If the letters IOSZ are invalid, then an item with revision H is incremented to new revision J.
- If your company mixes letters and numbers in the same sequence (not a best practice), then the letters BIOQSZ are good candidates to be skipped since, in some typefaces or handwritten notes, they are difficult to distinguish from numbers.
- Active: users can select
Default member of collection
Permanent member of collection§
- See the Managing collections: Common attributes help topic.
Where Used list§
Alphabetic characters have traditionally been used for revisions. Although most items won't require more than 20 revisions, you may want to specify a double-letter revision sequence starting at "AA". This offers almost 700 revisions for those particularly long-lived items, and specifying the number of revision characters up front means your users will never have to worry whether the item is truly at Revision B, instead of an accidentally truncated Revision BC.
Numeric revisions are a more recent, and often superior, practice. They do not require skip characters, and are far more accessible on computer keyboards for all languages. It's better to not use 0 as the first character in the Starting revision: Microsoft Excel often silently deletes leading zeroes, for example, revision 02 becomes 2.
The sequence generator doesn't try to enforce the rule. You can edit the suggested revision using a skip character or different number of characters.
Although you can modify a sequence after it's been in use, you should exercise caution as it will affect all new items, as well as all existing items, that rely on that sequence.
Help Guide Contents [as PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help styles
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. PDXpert introduction
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. How to work with documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Start and update a task
- 1006. Save your document
- 1007. Remove your document
- 1008. Release your document
- 1009. Manage a released document
- 1010. Revise a released document
- 1011. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. How to work with parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Add or remove materials
- 1209. Start and update a task
- 1210. Save your part
- 1211. Remove your part
- 1212. Release your part
- 1213. Revise a released part
- 1214. Manage a released part
- 1215. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1500. How to start a change form
- 1503. Start and update a task
- 1504. Analyze a submitted change
- 1505. Fix change form routing errors
- 1506. Remove your change form
- 1507. Review a routed change
- 1508. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1509. Analyze an accepted change
- 1510. Use a released change
- 1511. View a completed change
- 1512. Analyze a stopped change
- 1513. View a rejected change
- 1514. Remove a canceled change
- 1515. Return a submitted change
- 1600. How to work with file attachments
- 1700. How to report, import & export
- 1701. Run a report
- 1702. Export a PDX package
- 1703. Use the DataGrid
- 1704. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1800. Import & update items
- 1801. Use the Batch Importer
- 1802. Item Master import
- 1803. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1804. Bill of materials import
- 1805. References import
- 1806. Revision files import
- 1807. Sources import
- 1808. Item-level relational imports
- 1809. Item files & links import
- 1810. Materials import
- 1811. Groups collection import
- 1812. Materials collection import
- 1813. Organizations collection import
- 1814. Persons collection import
- 1815. Custom collection import
- 1900. View & export via ODBC
- 1901. View database objects
- 1902. Create an ODBC connection
- 1903. ItemViews reference
- 1904. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1905. SourcePairViews reference
- 1906. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1907. StructurePairViews reference
- 1908. ChangeViews reference
- 1909. ChangePairViews reference
- 1910. FilePairMasterView reference
- 2000. How to do other tasks
- 2100. Menu reference
- 2200. Document reference
- 2300. Part reference
- 2400. Change Form reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules tool
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Copy previous tasks
- 2504. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2505. General: Reviewer comment required
- 2506. Default File Access
- 2507. Password Policy
- 2508. References Tabs
- 2509. BOM: Limit part to one row
- 2510. BOM: Lock part unit of measure
- 2511. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices