PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Collection Explorer ◢ Places/Organization/Persons group ◢ Persons collection
Specifies people who have an interest in your product data and, optionally, lets you add and manage PDXpert user accounts for them.
This is the complete name for the person.
Always use the actual name of a real person or kiosk machine. Unknown names like Engineer1 hide valuable history and make software license compliance more difficult.
Before changing the person's Name or deleting the person record, refer to the Setup below.
- Email address§
The Email address is used for system notices, such as change reviews and task assignments. To send a person's notice to several email addresses, separate each by a comma: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Use your email client (e.g., Microsoft Outlook) to act on incoming notices – for example, to sort into topic folders, set a priority or schedule a reminder. The default email subject contains useful filtering criteria, such as the change type abbreviation and workflow state.
- Job title§
- This gives the person's job function.
- Select the employing organization from the dropdown list.
- Employee identifier§
In larger organizations, this may be useful to distinguish between similarly-named employees.
Do not enter privacy-sensitive information such as social security number. Use an organization-issued identifier instead.
Select the employee's supervisor from the dropdown list. This information may be useful when the employee cannot be contacted.
Start at the highest level that you'll need of a company's organization chart. As you work down the chart, you'll always have an employee's supervisor available as you enter their data.
- Start date§
- You may wish to record when a person joined the organization, or first had access to PDXpert.
- End date§
- You may wish to record when a person left the organization, or last had access to PDXpert.
- Default member of collection§
The default member of the Persons collection is called the super administrator. This user has full ability to view, create and edit items, collections and system rules, even when assigned a Roles collection member with limited permissions. See the Roles collection and Manage user accounts: Setting a user as the super administrator help topics.
Use the super administrator account to access your system under these unusual conditions:
All known log-in accounts or passwords have been lost. On the PDXpert Application Server, click the User Management tool.button, then use the super administrator account to update user accounts in the PDXpert client's
More log-in accounts have been assigned than are allowed by your PDXpert software license. Log into PDXpert using the super administrator account, and then delete user accounts in the PDXpert client's User Management tool. When the total number of user accounts is within the limits shown in the Software License Key tool, all remaining users will again have normal access.
- Active: users can select§
Mark this checkbox for current PDXpert users, and clear it for previous users.
If you're removing a user's log-in account, you'll usually make the person record inactive to keep their activity history, rather than rename or delete the record. See the Set a person's status to inactive help topic.
- Permanent member of collection§
- See the Managing collections: Common attributes help topic.
This contains the person's individual contact information.
When you click the Organization values are copied to all empty address and phone values. Existing values are not replaced. Delete any existing address and/or phone value if you want the organization's value copied. The organization's email address and messaging user name(s) are never copied.button, then the person's
The Batch Importer tool can import new Persons collection members and create user accounts.
Any number of Persons collection members can be added without affecting the software license count. Persons can receive email notices without having a PDXpert user account.
For complete information on adding, changing and removing user accounts in the User Management tool, see the Manage user accounts help topic.
It may not be possible to delete a person. PDXpert uses the person record to track user activity history. Even after you remove the person from collections (Groups, Product families, all change forms' analyst and participants, custom attribute defaults), the record may remain tied to items (trustee, auxiliary persons, custom attributes), file attachments (added by, checked-out by), change reviews, tasks (assigned by/assigned to), and queued email notices.
If the person was given a user account, it's more practical to keep the user's history by deleting the user account and making the Persons member not active.
Help Guide Contents [as PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help styles
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. PDXpert introduction
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. How to work with documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Start and update a task
- 1006. Save your document
- 1007. Remove your document
- 1008. Release your document
- 1009. Manage a released document
- 1010. Revise a released document
- 1011. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. How to work with parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Add or remove materials
- 1209. Start and update a task
- 1210. Save your part
- 1211. Remove your part
- 1212. Release your part
- 1213. Revise a released part
- 1214. Manage a released part
- 1215. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1500. How to start a change form
- 1503. Start and update a task
- 1504. Analyze a submitted change
- 1505. Fix change form routing errors
- 1506. Remove your change form
- 1507. Review a routed change
- 1508. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1509. Analyze an accepted change
- 1510. Use a released change
- 1511. View a completed change
- 1512. Analyze a stopped change
- 1513. View a rejected change
- 1514. Remove a canceled change
- 1515. Return a submitted change
- 1600. How to work with file attachments
- 1700. How to report, import & export
- 1701. Run a report
- 1702. Export a PDX package
- 1703. Use the DataGrid
- 1704. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1800. Import & update items
- 1801. Use the Batch Importer
- 1802. Item Master import
- 1803. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1804. Bill of materials import
- 1805. References import
- 1806. Revision files import
- 1807. Sources import
- 1808. Item-level relational imports
- 1809. Item files & links import
- 1810. Materials import
- 1811. Groups collection import
- 1812. Materials collection import
- 1813. Organizations collection import
- 1814. Persons collection import
- 1815. Custom collection import
- 1900. View & export via ODBC
- 1901. View database objects
- 1902. Create an ODBC connection
- 1903. ItemViews reference
- 1904. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1905. SourcePairViews reference
- 1906. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1907. StructurePairViews reference
- 1908. ChangeViews reference
- 1909. ChangePairViews reference
- 1910. FilePairMasterView reference
- 2000. How to do other tasks
- 2100. Menu reference
- 2200. Document reference
- 2300. Part reference
- 2400. Change Form reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules tool
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Copy previous tasks
- 2504. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2505. General: Reviewer comment required
- 2506. Default File Access
- 2507. Password Policy
- 2508. References Tabs
- 2509. BOM: Limit part to one row
- 2510. BOM: Lock part unit of measure
- 2511. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices