PDXpert PLM Software
Upgrading the PDXpert client on workstation computers
Do not connect one server's local client to another server that has a different release. If you need this configuration, contact technical support for assistance.
Upgrade the PDXpert system on your server computer before upgrading the PDXpert client application on each workstation computer.
Install all Microsoft important updates, and restart your computer, before upgrading the PDXpert client application.
If your current system is earlier than PDXpert release 9.0, first uninstall your PDXpert client (using the Windows Control Panel), then upgrade to the current release.
If any user has installed the PDXpertServerSetup.exe instead of the PDXpertClientSetup.exe, this server installation will prevent a clean client upgrade. Query all client workstations on the network for an installed server, such as testing if this exists: %ProgramFiles%\PDXpert\PDXpert PLM\Website\bin\PDXpert.Service.exe. Uninstall any unexpected PDXpert Server installations before the user has a chance to try upgrading to the new release.
For each client workstation, do any one of the following:
Run the previously-installed PDXpert client, which will detect the new server and automatically apply the upgrade. (If the system asks whether to upgrade, click the button to accept.)
The PDXpert Application Server window displays a http://.../client/setup download link. Copy the link, send it to the client computer, and download the installer in a web browser.
The link is http://machine:48084/client/setup where machine is the server computer's name or IP address. If the PDXpert Application Server is installed on, say, PLMSERVER then the link is http://PLMSERVER:48084/client/setup
The PDXpert client installer (PDXpertClientSetup.exe) can be copied from the PDXpert Application Server window. Save the setup file, copy it to the client computer, and launch it.
Download the PDXpert client installer from this website, save it to your client computer, and then run it.
During an upgrade, the PDXpert installer may display the message: Warning 1910. Could not remove Shortcut PDXpert PLM.lnk Verify that the shortcut file exists and that you can access it. This may be a Windows Installer error, or the installation target's desktop.ini is set as read-only. You can safely ignore this message.
Restricted permissions & the 'All Users' profile§
A Windows administrator must upgrade a PDXpert client if
- Users do not have permissions to install software into their own Windows user profiles, or
- A PDXpert client has been installed into the All Users (machine) profile. The PDXpert client is often installed into the All Users profile of shared kiosk nodes, Remote Desktop Services or Citrix®, and for Group Policy Object (GPO) distribution to 64-bit Windows clients.
To upgrade a PDXpert client:
Log into Windows with an account that has sufficient permissions.
In the Windows Control Panel, find and uninstall the PDXpert client.
To install the PDXpert client, use the appropriate installer (both available on the download page):
Normal user profile: PPDXpertClientSetup-release.EXE
All Users profile: PDXpertClientSetupMPx64-release.MSI
Install Guide Contents
- 001. Installation overview
- 002. Preparing the server computer
- 003. Standard PDXpert System setup
- 004. Standard PDXpert PLM client setup
- 005. Installing LocalDB for PDXpert client ODBC
- 006. Custom installation: SQL Server
- 007. Custom installation: PDXpert server
- 008. Custom installation: Private cloud
- 009. Custom installation: Group Policy
- 010. Upgrading the PDXpert Application Server
- 011. Upgrading the PDXpert PLM client
- 012. PDXpert server post-install checklist
- 013. Moving PDXpert server database and files
- 014. Managing a PDXpert test server
- 015. PDXpert Application Server diagnostics
- 016. PDXpert PLM client diagnostics
- 017. Microsoft SQL Server diagnostics
- 018. Microsoft SQL Server log files
- 019. Connecting SQL Server Management Studio
- 020. Upgrading SQL Server
- 021. Service configuration settings
- 022. Application folders and files
- 023. System architectural diagram
Release notes (change history)
- PDXpert 10.0 release notes
- PDXpert 10.1 release notes
- PDXpert 10.2 release notes
- PDXpert 10.3 release notes
- PDXpert 11.0 release notes
- PDXpert 11.1 release notes
- PDXpert 11.2 release notes
- PDXpert 12.0 release notes
- PDXpert 12.1 release notes
- PDXpert 12.2 release notes
- PDXplorer 5.0 release notes
- PDXplorer 5.1 release notes
- PDXpert 13.0 release notes
- PDXpert 14.0 release notes
- PDXplorer 5.2 release notes