PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Collection Explorer ◢ Custom group ◢ Administrator-assigned collection
making any changes to custom collections:
1. All users other than the administrator should exit the PDXpert application.
2. The administrator should close all open records ( ).
Restart the PDXpert application when you've finished your changes.
Defines a list of choices that are shown within a custom attribute.
Custom attributes in documents, parts, change forms
This is the custom collection's name within the Custom group.
Do not use the name of a standard collection, such as Persons, for a new custom collection. Although the system lets you use the same name, it's potentially confusing to users. Future PDXpert capabilities may require unique collection names, and custom collections with the same name may need to be renamed later.
The collection name is typically plural (Colors, Sizes, Categories, etc.).
- This describes the function or purpose of the collection.
- This is the complete name for the collection member.
- Specifies a short version of the member name. Although not used within the application, that database value may be available for export via a Transforms object.
- This describes the function or purpose of the member.
- Custom collection§
- Identifies the collection that contains the member. When first adding the member, you can move it to a different collection; however, after saving, the member can't be moved.
- Active: users can select
Default member of collection§
- See the Managing collections: Common attributes help topic.
- The first member of the collection is set as the default. If the collection has more than one member, the default can be changed to a different member.
- Making a custom collection member inactive makes it unavailable for new uses, but doesn't remove it from any items where it's used.
The Batch Importer tool can import new Custom collections and their members.
A custom collection defines a fixed set of choices that can be selected in your items' custom attributes.
Custom collections can be made to meet a detailed need, or to be broadly reusable. For example, if you want a list of possible paint colors for a part, the custom collection might be called either Colors or, more narrowly, Paint colors. The choice affects the number of collections, and how you'll manage each one over time.
- the collection can be used for different purposes — that is, the collection members are generic (Red) or narrow (Copper Sunset) —, and
- changes to the custom collection's members — say, new colors — will be appropriate in all the places that the collection is used.
Consider adding a standard record, such as Not specified, as the default collection member. When adding a custom attribute in a part type, document type or change form template, use this standard member as the default. The value is shown until the user gives a useful collection member to the item.
Help Guide Contents [as PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help styles
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. PDXpert introduction
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. How to work with documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Start and update a task
- 1006. Save your document
- 1007. Remove your document
- 1008. Release your document
- 1009. Manage a released document
- 1010. Revise a released document
- 1011. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. How to work with parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Add or remove materials
- 1209. Start and update a task
- 1210. Save your part
- 1211. Remove your part
- 1212. Release your part
- 1213. Revise a released part
- 1214. Manage a released part
- 1215. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1500. How to start a change form
- 1503. Start and update a task
- 1504. Analyze a submitted change
- 1505. Fix change form routing errors
- 1506. Remove your change form
- 1507. Review a routed change
- 1508. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1509. Analyze an accepted change
- 1510. Use a released change
- 1511. View a completed change
- 1512. Analyze a stopped change
- 1513. View a rejected change
- 1514. Remove a canceled change
- 1515. Return a submitted change
- 1600. How to work with file attachments
- 1700. How to report, import & export
- 1701. Run a report
- 1702. Export a PDX package
- 1703. Use the DataGrid
- 1704. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1800. Import & update items
- 1801. Use the Batch Importer
- 1802. Item Master import
- 1803. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1804. Bill of materials import
- 1805. References import
- 1806. Revision files import
- 1807. Sources import
- 1808. Item-level relational imports
- 1809. Item files & links import
- 1810. Materials import
- 1811. Groups collection import
- 1812. Materials collection import
- 1813. Organizations collection import
- 1814. Persons collection import
- 1815. Custom collection import
- 1900. View & export via ODBC
- 1901. View database objects
- 1902. Create an ODBC connection
- 1903. ItemViews reference
- 1904. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1905. SourcePairViews reference
- 1906. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1907. StructurePairViews reference
- 1908. ChangeViews reference
- 1909. ChangePairViews reference
- 1910. FilePairMasterView reference
- 2000. How to do other tasks
- 2100. Menu reference
- 2200. Document reference
- 2300. Part reference
- 2400. Change Form reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules tool
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Copy previous tasks
- 2504. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2505. General: Reviewer comment required
- 2506. Default File Access
- 2507. Password Policy
- 2508. References Tabs
- 2509. BOM: Limit part to one row
- 2510. BOM: Lock part unit of measure
- 2511. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices