PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Organizations that manufacture products must also create information that show how to produce, inspect, use and service the products.
Each product is modeled using part records, and the parts and produces are described using documents. The organization organizes part and document records by giving each one its own number.
Items are system records that contain information about your products. PDXpert has three classes of items:
- A document record tells about a part or procedure, or gives information to assist with procurement, manufacture, test, inspection, or maintenance and repair.
- A part record represents a physical object that is fabricated, purchased, assembled or consumed to produce other parts and, ultimately, final products. The record gives physical properties (such as unit of measure, mass, components) as well as non-physical attributes (regulatory requirements, test procedures or other references).
- A change form identifies a group of part and document records and
- changes their release status; or
- identifies future document or part changes, or identifies a temporary change to a part or product.
Regardless of its purpose, an item always has an owning organization, an item type, an identifier number and a description.
Organizations design and manage items; their intellectual and financial investment establishes their ownership in the item.
The home organization is the organization that licenses and operates PDXpert. This organization owns all proprietary information that is develops: requirements, procedures, and specifications; part fabrication, assembly and sourcing data; and design files and records. The home organization decides when parts and documents are released, revised and canceled in PDXpert, and thus owns all change forms.
Each partner organization—such as supplier, regulatory agency, or customer—develops and manages its proprietary documents and parts, and gives these to the home organization. PDXpert doesn't allow partners to be change form owners.
The item number is a string of characters that the owning organization gives to an item to uniquely identify it.
An item type may subscribe to an identifier sequence, which represents the set of rules for how an item number format is constructed. A sequence can be used by one or more item types.
An item's type defines its properties and behavior—in other words, the rules that the item follows. Once you've selected the type, the specified rules are permanently applied to the item.
Name (parts) / Title (documents) / Description (change forms)§
The item desciption field gives the item's purpose and characteristics, and typically uses an agreed-upon descriptive format.
The description doesn't uniquely identify the item; other items can have the same description. However, the decription contains the item's key search text and is exported to downstream manufacturing and support systems. It's good practice to keep the original description after the item's first release.
Help Guide Contents [as PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help styles
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. PDXpert introduction
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. How to work with documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Start and update a task
- 1006. Save your document
- 1007. Remove your document
- 1008. Release your document
- 1009. Manage a released document
- 1010. Revise a released document
- 1011. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. How to work with parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Add or remove materials
- 1209. Start and update a task
- 1210. Save your part
- 1211. Remove your part
- 1212. Release your part
- 1213. Revise a released part
- 1214. Manage a released part
- 1215. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1500. How to start a change form
- 1503. Start and update a task
- 1504. Analyze a submitted change
- 1505. Fix change form routing errors
- 1506. Remove your change form
- 1507. Review a routed change
- 1508. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1509. Analyze an accepted change
- 1510. Use a released change
- 1511. View a completed change
- 1512. Analyze a stopped change
- 1513. View a rejected change
- 1514. Remove a canceled change
- 1515. Return a submitted change
- 1600. How to work with file attachments
- 1700. How to report, import & export
- 1701. Run a report
- 1702. Export a PDX package
- 1703. Use the DataGrid
- 1704. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1800. Import & update items
- 1801. Use the Batch Importer
- 1802. Item Master import
- 1803. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1804. Bill of materials import
- 1805. References import
- 1806. Revision files import
- 1807. Sources import
- 1808. Item-level relational imports
- 1809. Item files & links import
- 1810. Materials import
- 1811. Groups collection import
- 1812. Materials collection import
- 1813. Organizations collection import
- 1814. Persons collection import
- 1815. Custom collection import
- 1900. View & export via ODBC
- 1901. View database objects
- 1902. Create an ODBC connection
- 1903. ItemViews reference
- 1904. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1905. SourcePairViews reference
- 1906. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1907. StructurePairViews reference
- 1908. ChangeViews reference
- 1909. ChangePairViews reference
- 1910. FilePairMasterView reference
- 2000. How to do other tasks
- 2100. Menu reference
- 2200. Document reference
- 2300. Part reference
- 2400. Change Form reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules tool
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Copy previous tasks
- 2504. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2505. General: Reviewer comment required
- 2506. Default File Access
- 2507. Password Policy
- 2508. References Tabs
- 2509. BOM: Limit part to one row
- 2510. BOM: Lock part unit of measure
- 2511. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices