PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Collection Explorer ◢ Places/Organization/Persons group ◢ Organizations collection
Identifies your organization as well as the suppliers, customers, regulatory agencies and other entities that interact with it or that affect your products.
By design, the home organization is permanent, default and active, and is the licensee of this PDXpert instance. You cannot delete the home organization.
Documents, parts, persons (employees)
This is the name of the company, agency or other organization.
This value is locked for the home organization. You can only change its value in the Software License Key tool, which can be opened by double-clicking on the Name field or by selecting from the menu. If you're using a with a Registration key, you must request a new license key file with the correct Organization name.
You may need to close the PDXpert client and start it again to see license changes in the Organizations member.
- Display name§
- You'll typically use the organization's abbreviation for this value. It's used extensively throughout PDXpert to identify the organizations responsible for writing and managing documents as well as designing and manufacturing parts. For other uses, see Color-coded environments, below.
- D-U-N-S number§
- The D&B D-U-N-S Number is a unique nine-digit identification sequence, which provides unique identifiers of single business entities, while linking corporate family structures together. It is recognized and/or required by many government, industry standards bodies and trade associations, including ANSI, the United Nations, the U.S. Federal Government and the European Commission.
- This 13-digit (9+4) value specifies the organization and its geographic location. In non-IPC environments, you may prefer to use this for the EAN.UCC 13-digit Global Location Number.
- This is the organization's preferred language for communications. Most documents, part descriptions and changes are written in this language. You can select from active members of the languages collection.
- Partner classification§
- You can classify the organization and its relationship to your own organization, which may be important to other parties who exchange product design data with you. (See the Partner classifications topic for more information.)
- This is the organization's preferred currency. For instance, when a part is given a cost, this currency is used unless overridden.
- Enter the organization's home page or intranet page. Clicking on this link launches your computer's default browser and attempts to open the web page.
- Active: users can select
Default member of collection
Permanent member of collection§
- See the Managing collections: Common attributes help topic.
These fields are used to specify the organization's location and contact information. A PDX package includes this information, which is helpful to supply chain partners.
The Country and Postal code values are locked for the home organization. You can only change their values in the Software License Key tool. You may need to close the PDXpert client and start it again to see license changes.
The Files list lets you attach files to the organization. These can be changed or removed at any time by users with administrative permissions for the Organizations collection.
To add, edit or remove a file:
- Right-click within the Files area or directly on an existing file. This shows a context menu with the available commands.
Library files are saved within PDXpert's own data library. Appropriate uses may be to save, for example, non-disclosure agreements and contracts.
URLs can point to files stored anywhere such as a file server or website. An unmanaged file is not controlled by PDXpert, and may be modified, moved or deleted without PDXpert's knowledge. Use a URL when you want to always point to the latest version of an often-updated "background information" file, such as the organization's web site or supplier-maintained price list.
The Notes textbox may be used for any purpose that you choose. Up to 20,000 characters (about 10 printed pages of text) can be added.
The Batch Importer tool can import new Organizations collection members.
The organization that has the PDXpert software license is always the default ("home") collection member. Add the default organization's address.
Add an organization record for any entity that:
- Issues document numbers or part numbers that are used in your PLM system
- Supplies you with parts
- Has regulatory control over the technical contents of your documents
- Has adopted any of your documentation for its own use, and is affected by changes to that documentation
Providing a unique Display name for every entity you add to the database helps you distinguish between various organizations' parts and documents. Make the abbreviation suggestive of the organization you're working with: "Motorola", "CSA", "VDE", "FDA" and "Boeing" are good examples.
In U.S. Government contracting environments, the CAGE code can be appended to the Name or used as the Display name value. The CAGE then becomes a searchable value for items in the database.
You must request a separate software license key for each non-production server.
The Display name is shown in the application and on reports. You can confirm to users that they're using a non-production system for test or training.
If you include an exclamation character ! anywhere in the Display name, the background color on the main window's status bar is changed.
- ! (without 1, 2, 3, or 4 following) shows the status bar with a dark gray background. For example, Test! shows status text as Status text.
- !1 shows the status bar with a dark red background. For example, Home!1 shows as Status text
- !2 shows the status bar with a dark yellow (brown) background. For example, Use!2Train shows as Status text
- !3 shows the status bar with a dark green background. For example, ALT!3rd shows as Status text
- !4 shows the status bar with a dark blue background. For example, !4Blue shows as Status text
To see the effect, lock the form F2 to save your changes.
Help Guide Contents [as PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help styles
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. PDXpert introduction
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. How to work with documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Start and update a task
- 1006. Save your document
- 1007. Remove your document
- 1008. Release your document
- 1009. Manage a released document
- 1010. Revise a released document
- 1011. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. How to work with parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Add or remove materials
- 1209. Start and update a task
- 1210. Save your part
- 1211. Remove your part
- 1212. Release your part
- 1213. Revise a released part
- 1214. Manage a released part
- 1215. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1500. How to start a change form
- 1503. Start and update a task
- 1504. Analyze a submitted change
- 1505. Fix change form routing errors
- 1506. Remove your change form
- 1507. Review a routed change
- 1508. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1509. Analyze an accepted change
- 1510. Use a released change
- 1511. View a completed change
- 1512. Analyze a stopped change
- 1513. View a rejected change
- 1514. Remove a canceled change
- 1515. Return a submitted change
- 1600. How to work with file attachments
- 1700. How to report, import & export
- 1701. Run a report
- 1702. Export a PDX package
- 1703. Use the DataGrid
- 1704. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1800. Import & update items
- 1801. Use the Batch Importer
- 1802. Item Master import
- 1803. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1804. Bill of materials import
- 1805. References import
- 1806. Revision files import
- 1807. Sources import
- 1808. Item-level relational imports
- 1809. Item files & links import
- 1810. Materials import
- 1811. Groups collection import
- 1812. Materials collection import
- 1813. Organizations collection import
- 1814. Persons collection import
- 1815. Custom collection import
- 1900. View & export via ODBC
- 1901. View database objects
- 1902. Create an ODBC connection
- 1903. ItemViews reference
- 1904. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1905. SourcePairViews reference
- 1906. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1907. StructurePairViews reference
- 1908. ChangeViews reference
- 1909. ChangePairViews reference
- 1910. FilePairMasterView reference
- 2000. How to do other tasks
- 2100. Menu reference
- 2200. Document reference
- 2300. Part reference
- 2400. Change Form reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules tool
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Copy previous tasks
- 2504. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2505. General: Reviewer comment required
- 2506. Default File Access
- 2507. Password Policy
- 2508. References Tabs
- 2509. BOM: Limit part to one row
- 2510. BOM: Lock part unit of measure
- 2511. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices