PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Search for items
The Item Explorer's search works very similar to your favorite web search engine: enter what you want, and PDXpert will show records ranked with most likely results higher in the list. When you provide more information in your query, the top results are more accurate.
Searching for items§
If the Item Explorer is not shown, select themenu item from the menu.
- Click on Search.
Enter the search terms most likely to uniquely identify an item, just like a web search. For instance, you can use an item number, words in the item's description, the item's type, the owning organization, release status, or custom attribute values.
You can improve results by including special commands, filters and operators. See the Use search commands help topic.
Click on the search button to start the search.
If your results do not include the items that you want, try using different terms.
An item in the results can be opened, or used for drag-and-drop. You can select more than one item.
Results are ranked according to their relevance to the search terms. Matching item numbers, descriptions and other data shown on an item's General list usually rank higher in the results. Some returned items that match fewer search terms are listed lower on the results list.
To optimize workstation and network performance, search results are limited to about two thousand records. If your search is very general — say, part or 1* — then the results may not contain your item. By using better search terms, you'll get more useful results, and faster.
The column abbreviations are managed in these collections:
Owner: Organizations collection Display name
Type: Document Types, Part Types, Change Forms collections Abbreviation
Release: Item Lifecycle Phases collection Abbreviation
Use the buttons above the search textbox to reduce the number of rows returned in the search results. An unselected button hides the matching items, and a selected button shows the matching items.
For example, these settings hide canceled parts and canceled documents in the search results.
Hide results buttons:
- Pending parts
- Released parts
- Canceled parts
- Pending documents
- Released documents
- Canceled documents
- In-work change forms
- Released and completed change forms
- Canceled and rejected change forms
- Items owned by the home organization
- Items owned by partner organizations
The results show items that meet your search criteria, but you can open an item only when you have the correct security permissions. These permissions are determined by the system administrator, who specifies:
- your Role, which grants access to specified item classes and release status; and
- whether you've been denied access in the Product Family, which is added to some items.
It takes a few moments for a saved item to be indexed and included in search results. Items with custom attributes need more time to index.
File contents are indexed using Windows Search file system plug-ins that have been installed on the server computer. Based on system load and file size, there may be a noticeable delay before a file's content is included in search results. If a file attachment doesn't have a matching filter, then its content isn't included in your search results.
See the Tools menu ➔ Index Status help topic.
Help Guide Contents [as PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help styles
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. PDXpert introduction
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. How to work with documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Start and update a task
- 1006. Save your document
- 1007. Remove your document
- 1008. Release your document
- 1009. Manage a released document
- 1010. Revise a released document
- 1011. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. How to work with parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Add or remove materials
- 1209. Start and update a task
- 1210. Save your part
- 1211. Remove your part
- 1212. Release your part
- 1213. Revise a released part
- 1214. Manage a released part
- 1215. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1500. How to start a change form
- 1503. Start and update a task
- 1504. Analyze a submitted change
- 1505. Fix change form routing errors
- 1506. Remove your change form
- 1507. Review a routed change
- 1508. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1509. Analyze an accepted change
- 1510. Use a released change
- 1511. View a completed change
- 1512. Analyze a stopped change
- 1513. View a rejected change
- 1514. Remove a canceled change
- 1515. Return a submitted change
- 1600. How to work with file attachments
- 1700. How to report, import & export
- 1701. Run a report
- 1702. Export a PDX package
- 1703. Use the DataGrid
- 1704. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1800. Import & update items
- 1801. Use the Batch Importer
- 1802. Item Master import
- 1803. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1804. Bill of materials import
- 1805. References import
- 1806. Revision files import
- 1807. Sources import
- 1808. Item-level relational imports
- 1809. Item files & links import
- 1810. Materials import
- 1811. Groups collection import
- 1812. Materials collection import
- 1813. Organizations collection import
- 1814. Persons collection import
- 1815. Custom collection import
- 1900. View & export via ODBC
- 1901. View database objects
- 1902. Create an ODBC connection
- 1903. ItemViews reference
- 1904. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1905. SourcePairViews reference
- 1906. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1907. StructurePairViews reference
- 1908. ChangeViews reference
- 1909. ChangePairViews reference
- 1910. FilePairMasterView reference
- 2000. How to do other tasks
- 2100. Menu reference
- 2200. Document reference
- 2300. Part reference
- 2400. Change Form reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules tool
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Copy previous tasks
- 2504. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2505. General: Reviewer comment required
- 2506. Default File Access
- 2507. Password Policy
- 2508. References Tabs
- 2509. BOM: Limit part to one row
- 2510. BOM: Lock part unit of measure
- 2511. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices