PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
Attach a revision file
To attach a file, the iteration must be pending, and cannot be on a working (for example, a Routed) change form. To manage a revision file, see the User roles & permissions help topic.
Revision files are included (isFileIn="Yes") in a PDX package.
Revision (iteration) files typically contain specific design and production data that you want to tightly control. Revision files are permanently locked to a particular document or part record iteration during the release process. You may want to include both the original design files (like mechanical or electronic CAD files, or Word documents), as well as more general-purpose equivalents (such as Adobe PDF or JPG images).
After the item iteration has been released, the attached files cannot be added, modified or deleted. To add, revise or remove revision files, you must create a new item iteration.
Select the item window's Files tab, then select the Revision Files tab.
Unlock the item window by pressing your keyboard's F2 key.
Use the context menu to add each file individually, or use Windows Explorer to drag-and-drop one or more files.
The file cannot be copied to the library unless PDXpert can have exclusive access to the file. If the file is open in another application, you may receive a warning. Close the file in the other application and retry the attachment.
The file isn't copied into the library until you save or lock the item record. After the file is saved, any changes made to your local copy won't affect the file that you attached to the Revision Files list.
Do not attach a Windows link (.lnk) file. The real data file is not saved, and the link file doesn't contain information that's useful to other computers.
Windows has a practical device:\path\filename.ext length limit of 260 characters. To avoid problems when users view or copy revision files from PDXpert to their computers, keep filenames under about 80 characters.
Windows may block downloaded files, which should be unblocked before attaching to an item record. See the File tab help topic.
Compressed archive files – .zip, .7z, .rar, and similar files – should be made only on a Windows PC. See the File tab help topic.
PDXpert does not move, change or delete the source file on your computer.
Right-click within the Revision Files list to open the context menu. Select the command and then use the Add File to Library dialog to browse to your file. Select the file and click the button.
Open Windows Explorer and select one or more files to drop. You can multi-select files by using shift-click, control-click or by dragging a selection rectangle to highlight the files. Drag one of the highlighted files from Windows Explorer and drop it onto the Files list (all selected files will follow).
Ensure that at least some part of PDXpert's file list area is visible before you start the drag.
You can override the default file access permissions for the file. Select File Permissions dialog, and then set the View/Copy and Check-out/Delete checkboxes. Regardless of the selections you make, the current iteration's trustee, as well as analysts, will always have permissions to the file. Revision files cannot be checked out or deleted after the iteration is released.from the context menu to open the
Select Add Note dialog. Enter a comment, and click the button. The note is attached to the file, and is shared across all iterations that use the file.from the context menu to open the
Save your work to the server:(Ctrl+S) or lock the window (F2 key).
Delete a revision file§
To delete an attached file:
- Select the revision file.
- Press your keyboard's Delete key, or select Remove File from the context menu.
Help Guide Contents [as PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help styles
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. PDXpert introduction
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. How to work with documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Start and update a task
- 1006. Save your document
- 1007. Remove your document
- 1008. Release your document
- 1009. Manage a released document
- 1010. Revise a released document
- 1011. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. How to work with parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Add or remove materials
- 1209. Start and update a task
- 1210. Save your part
- 1211. Remove your part
- 1212. Release your part
- 1213. Revise a released part
- 1214. Manage a released part
- 1215. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1500. How to start a change form
- 1503. Start and update a task
- 1504. Analyze a submitted change
- 1505. Fix change form routing errors
- 1506. Remove your change form
- 1507. Review a routed change
- 1508. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1509. Analyze an accepted change
- 1510. Use a released change
- 1511. View a completed change
- 1512. Analyze a stopped change
- 1513. View a rejected change
- 1514. Remove a canceled change
- 1515. Return a submitted change
- 1600. How to work with file attachments
- 1700. How to report, import & export
- 1701. Run a report
- 1702. Export a PDX package
- 1703. Use the DataGrid
- 1704. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1800. Import & update items
- 1801. Use the Batch Importer
- 1802. Item Master import
- 1803. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1804. Bill of materials import
- 1805. References import
- 1806. Revision files import
- 1807. Sources import
- 1808. Item-level relational imports
- 1809. Item files & links import
- 1810. Materials import
- 1811. Groups collection import
- 1812. Materials collection import
- 1813. Organizations collection import
- 1814. Persons collection import
- 1815. Custom collection import
- 1900. View & export via ODBC
- 1901. View database objects
- 1902. Create an ODBC connection
- 1903. ItemViews reference
- 1904. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1905. SourcePairViews reference
- 1906. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1907. StructurePairViews reference
- 1908. ChangeViews reference
- 1909. ChangePairViews reference
- 1910. FilePairMasterView reference
- 2000. How to do other tasks
- 2100. Menu reference
- 2200. Document reference
- 2300. Part reference
- 2400. Change Form reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules tool
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Copy previous tasks
- 2504. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2505. General: Reviewer comment required
- 2506. Default File Access
- 2507. Password Policy
- 2508. References Tabs
- 2509. BOM: Limit part to one row
- 2510. BOM: Lock part unit of measure
- 2511. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices