PDXpert PLM Software
On-line Help Guide
This help topic describes the current PDXpert PLM release. Earlier releases may be different. To view your release's version of this topic, open PDXpert and press the F1 key or select the Help menu.
PDXpert Application Server overview
The PDXpert® Application Server shows an administrator interface window (the "console") for configuring the system and for managing your product database and library. It works with the PDXpert Server service that communicates with PDXpert client applications and the Microsoft® SQL Server™ database engine.
In the PDXpert Application Server help topics, pay special attention to warnings like this to avoid data damage or loss.
The PDXpert Application Server requires complete and exclusive control of its database. Do not add your own table, view, stored procedure, or other resource in the PDXpertDB database. Do not alter PDXpert tables, views or other objects. During an upgrade, PDXpert may add, alter or drop tables, and make other changes. An upgrade drops all stored procedures, functions, triggers, and views (with the Views collection), and then rebuilds. Make a separate database to hold your own objects.
Do not rename the database logical name, PDXpertDB, or physical file names, PDXpertDB.mdf / PDXpertDB_Log.ldf. Do not move the physical files out of the \Data\Database folder.
Do not add files to the server's \Data\ folder or its subfolders. Unrecognized files may interfere with proper operation or may be deleted without warning.
The PDXpert Server console:
Supports database backup, restore, relocation, reset and instance assignment functions.
Saves the set of server console and service log files.
Resets the super administrator's log-in account password.
Provides a web browser link that points to the PDXpert client installer, and a button to save the client installer.
Resets the PDXpert super administrator account password.
Shows information about PDXpert, Windows and SQL Server, and copies technical details to the Windows clipboard.
The PDXpert Server service:
Confirms that the user logging into the PDXpert client application is authorized to access your system.
Verifies that the PDXpert client application is compatible with the PDXpert service and database schema.
Manages data transfer between the PDXpert client application and the database.
Manages the file library for the PDXpert client application.
Manages the PDXpert Filter service (a child process), which submits file attachment indexing requests to the Windows Search service.
Validates the software license that your organization has been given.
Downloads new installation software to out-of-date clients.
Before using the PDXpert Server console, or making changes to the service settings, review the appropriate sections of this help file. The How to... topics provide detailed instructions.
Help Guide Contents [as PDF]
- 0001. Welcome!
- 0002. Help styles
- 0100. PDXpert Application Server
- 0101. Server overview
- 0200. How to...
- 0300. Console reference
- 0400. How to start the PDXpert client
- 0500. PDXpert introduction
- 0600. How to set up PDXpert
- 0700. How to use the Item Explorer
- 0800. How to use the Collection Explorer
- 0900. How to work with documents
- 0901. How to work with documents
- 1000. How to start a document
- 1003. Fill in the new document
- 1004. Add or remove references
- 1005. Start and update a task
- 1006. Save your document
- 1007. Remove your document
- 1008. Release your document
- 1009. Manage a released document
- 1010. Revise a released document
- 1011. Cancel a released document
- 1100. How to work with parts
- 1101. How to work with parts
- 1200. How to start a part
- 1203. Fill in the new part
- 1204. Add, modify or remove BOM parts
- 1205. Import a CAD BOM
- 1206. Add or remove approved sources
- 1207. Add or remove references
- 1208. Add or remove materials
- 1209. Start and update a task
- 1210. Save your part
- 1211. Remove your part
- 1212. Release your part
- 1213. Revise a released part
- 1214. Manage a released part
- 1215. Cancel a released part
- 1300. How to revise multiple markups
- 1400. How to work with change forms
- 1401. Processing a change
- 1500. How to start a change form
- 1503. Start and update a task
- 1504. Analyze a submitted change
- 1505. Fix change form routing errors
- 1506. Remove your change form
- 1507. Review a routed change
- 1508. Resolve an on-hold change
- 1509. Analyze an accepted change
- 1510. Use a released change
- 1511. View a completed change
- 1512. Analyze a stopped change
- 1513. View a rejected change
- 1514. Remove a canceled change
- 1515. Return a submitted change
- 1600. How to work with file attachments
- 1700. How to report, import & export
- 1701. Run a report
- 1702. Export a PDX package
- 1703. Use the DataGrid
- 1704. Use the Report/Export Wizard
- 1800. Import & update items
- 1801. Use the Batch Importer
- 1802. Item Master import
- 1803. Iteration-level relational imports
- 1804. Bill of materials import
- 1805. References import
- 1806. Revision files import
- 1807. Sources import
- 1808. Item-level relational imports
- 1809. Item files & links import
- 1810. Item materials import
- 1811. Item product families import
- 1812. Groups collection import
- 1813. Materials collection import
- 1814. Organizations collection import
- 1815. Product families collection import
- 1816. Persons collection import
- 1817. Custom collection import
- 1900. View & export via ODBC
- 1901. View database objects
- 1902. Create an ODBC connection
- 1903. ItemViews reference
- 1904. ReferencePairViews reference
- 1905. SourcePairViews reference
- 1906. SourceItemMasterView reference
- 1907. StructurePairViews reference
- 1908. ChangeViews reference
- 1909. ChangePairViews reference
- 1910. FilePairMasterView reference
- 2000. How to do other tasks
- 2100. Menu reference
- 2200. Document reference
- 2300. Part reference
- 2400. Change Form reference
- 2500. System Rules reference
- 2501. System Rules tool
- 2502. General: Copy files to snapshot
- 2503. General: Copy previous tasks
- 2504. General: Item uniqueness definition
- 2505. General: Reviewer comment required
- 2506. General: Unlock change form Files (rule)
- 2507. General: Unlock change form Tasks (rule)
- 2508. Password Policy
- 2509. References Tabs
- 2510. BOM: Limit part to one row
- 2511. BOM: Lock part unit of measure
- 2512. BOM: Allow partner parts
- 2600. Collections reference
- 2601. Managing collections
- 2602. Custom attributes
- 2700. Places/Organizations/Persons
- 2800. General
- 2900. Documents
- 3000. Parts
- 3100. Changes
- 3108. Custom collections
- 3200. Other reference topics
- 3300. Software licenses & legal notices